Emergency Obs. Request Information
- Disaster Type: Earthquake
- Country: Indonesia
- Occurrence Date (UTC): 15 January, 2021
- SA activation Date(UTC): 15 January, 2021
- Requester: Indonesian National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (LAPAN)
- Escalation to the International Charter: Yes
- GLIDE Number:
In Majene, at least eight people died, 637 were injured and 15,000 residents have been displaced, according to the country's National Board for Disaster Management (BNPB). In the neighboring Mamuju area, an additional 26 deaths were reported, BNPB said.
At least 34 people have been killed and more than 600 injured after a magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck and toppled buildings in Indonesia’s Sulawesi island in the early hours of Friday, according to authorities. The epicentre of the quake was six kilometres (3.73 miles) northeast of the city of Majene, at a depth of 10 kilometres (6.2 miles).
A strong, shallow earthquake shook Indonesia’s Sulawesi island just after midnight Friday, toppling homes and buildings, triggering landslides and killing at least 34 people.